Ever thought how life would be If there is no water left on our planet? Will we still be alive? Will we appear the same as we look now? Or will our bodies have been transformed? How would life be without water, or do you think there will be any life on the planet? The answer to all these questions will probably be a no because water is an essential component of all life and is vital for our existence. Water is energy, the most crucial element to the potion of life. Without water, there would be no plants, no animals, no humans, in short, no life at all.
What is hydration?
The process of providing an adequate amount of water to quench the thirst of body tissues is called hydration.
Importance of hydration, its consequences, and health benefits
Being hydrated is crucial to health. The human body needs water for survival. Every cell and organ has to stay hydrated to let the body function properly. The human body almost consists of 60% of water; it is used as a building matter in our cells and performs several other benefits within our bodies.
Water and the human body
Water is a vital nutrient that serves several essential functions to keep us all going:
- It standardizes our internal body temperature by sweating and respiration (homeostasis).
- Enzymes in cells require water for their functioning. They need a specific level of water in their structures to maintain their natural conformation to function correctly.
- Water is the medium by which the carbohydrates and proteins from our food are metabolized and transported.
- Helps deliver oxygen throughout the body. Our intestines absorb The water we drink and are then circulated throughout the body in the form of blood, performing various functions to keep us alive.
- Water forms saliva.
- Water lubricates joints.
How much water intake you need daily?
The requirement of the body.
As recommended by Health Authorities, an average human being should take eight once glasses, which is equal to about 2 liters or half a gallon of water. It is also called an 8×8 rule and is easy to remember.
Health benefits of hydration
Here I am giving you some fantastic wonders of water.
Hydration and physical activity:
Our physical performance can suffer if we do not stay hydrated, especially during intense exercise or high heat.
Speeds up metabolism:
Drinking plenty of water leads to an increase in the rate in which people burn calories.
Detoxification of body:
Water boosts your blood circulation, causing impurities and toxins to flush out of your body.
Water acts as an energy booster. Dehydration causes fatigue as it influences the flow of oxygen to the brain, causing the heart to pump harder to pass the oxygen to all your organs, making you feel exhausted and tired. By staying hydrated, you stay energized.
Importance of hydration for brain function:
According to different studies, drinking additional water is associated with increased performance on tests of memory and attention. Since your brain is composed of mostly water, drinking it helps you in various ways, including improving concentration and cognition and increasing blood flow to your brain.
Hydration and sleep:
Dehydration can affect your sleep cycle; it reduces the number of amino acids needed to produce melatonin, which is linked to a natural circadian rhythm. So having an appropriate amount of water keeps a balanced sleep-wake cycle.
What is the best time to drink water?
Drinking one glass of water 30 minutes before, during, and after a meal is recommended as it will allow your digestive system to function efficiently, and your body will absorb nutrients more proficiently.
Pro tip…giving pauses for small sips during a meal slows down the speed at which you eat, making you eat less overall. It helps you to keep a check on your hunger signals and makes the meal more enjoyable.
Benefits of drinking water before bed
Drinking warm water before going to sleep will keep you hydrated through the night and may help the body to get rid of unwanted toxins. It also relieves pain and cramping in the stomach.
Benefits of drinking water in the morning
Drinking water with an empty stomach in the morning can do wonders for your body, both internally and externally.
- It aids to jump-start your brain and body out of the sleep mode and into the grind mode.
- Intake of water on an empty stomach enhances the body’s ability to fight against infections.
- It prevents kidney stones and bladder infections.
Healthy morning drinks for weight loss
I have mentioned below certain things that you can add to water, which will not only help you to lose weight but also improve your metabolism.
Lemon juice and honey
The combination of these two elements can bear amazing results for your weight loss and overall health. Adding just lemon in water can also improve your health in several ways.
- It stimulates hydration due to its flavor. It is more preferred over water.
- As it is rich in Vitamin C, it acts as an antioxidant in the body.
- It may prevent common cold and flu.
- It reduces the risk of stroke, lower blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease.
- Lemon contains polyphenol antioxidants that are highly supportive of losing extra pounds of weight.
- It plays a significant role in preventing diabetes by enhancing insulin resistance.
- It stabilizes blood glucose levels.
- According to research, it has been claimed that drinking hot lemon water in the morning enhances the digestion process, which results in weight loss.
- It aids in preventing a dry mouth by stimulating the saliva.
- It assists in freshening the breath.
- As lemon contains citric acid, it helps in preventing kidney stones.
- Drinking lemon juice daily reduces the level of bad cholesterol in the body.
Apple cider vinegar
- It helps in killing many harmful bacteria, lowers blood sugar levels, and promotes heart health.
- As it has acetic acid, it lowers the blood sugar level.
- It is beneficial in reducing insulin levels.
- As it enhances the enzyme’s reactivity, it results in the burning of the fats and the production of sugar in the liver.
- It reduces belly fat and liver fat.
- It enhances metabolism.
- It contains acetate that suppresses centers in the brain, which results in the suppression of appetite.
- Its intake promotes fullness, which results in low-calorie consumption.
- It improves insulin sensitivity.
- It reduces the chances of getting Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- It decreases cholesterol levels.
- It lowers blood pressure.
It is the best choice that will purify your body and improve your metabolism.
It protects your body from the risk of various diseases. According to researches, the intake of green and black tea not only helps in the reduction of weight but also reduces the risk of lethal diseases like diabetes, cancers, and cardiovascular disease.
The mixture of cumin seeds and water reduces hunger and improves the fat burning process.
All these drinks offer multiple health benefits like weight loss and detoxification.
Use of boiled water
Boiling water before drinking is beneficial for the killing of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms.
Boiled water helps to balance your metabolism and ensures that your body doesn’t suffer when you are tired and lack energy.
Why do Chinese people always drink hot water?
One of the reasons that Chinese people are physically active could be the use of hot water in their daily routine. According to ancient Chinese medicine, drinking a glass of warm water in the morning is very beneficial as it helps to speed up the digestive system, it increases the blood circulation and reduces painful contractions of muscles. Besides these, there are many other health benefits of drinking boiled water.
- Helps relieve constipation
- Calms the central nervous system.
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Reduce stress levels.
Drinks must be avoided for weight loss:
Alcohol, Soft drinks, Fruit juices, Energy drinks, and coffee shop drinks must be avoided as they contain more sugar than the customarily recommended diet plan for daily consumption.
Why is water essential for your skin?
Skin is the largest organ of the body. It is made up of skin cells that are made up of water just like any other organ of your body. If a sufficient amount of water is not provided to the skin, the lack of hydration will occur, turning your skin dry, tight, and flaky. So to keep your skin hydrated, make use of a hydrating moisturizer in your daily routine.
Signs that show you’re not drinking enough water:
- Constant bad smell.
- Decreased urination.
- Dry skin.
- Frequent illness.
- Sugar cravings.
- Dry mouth.
So far, we have just discussed the Importance of water. Now let’s talk about the consequences of having less water intake. The human body is composed of 75% of water.
However, water is continuously lost during the day as we breathe, sweat, urinate, and defecate, we compensate for the loss by drinking fluids. But if a sufficient amount of water is not provided to the body, it results in dehydration. Minor dehydration can easily be treated by increasing fluid intake, but for severe cases of dehydration, immediate medical help is required.
General causes of dehydration
- Less water intake.
- Heavy medication.
Symptoms of dehydration
The initial symptoms of dehydration include dry mouth, fatigue, headache, and dizziness. Individuals experience darker urine and less urine production. The color of your urine shows your hydration level. Clear urine indicates that you are adequately hydrated, whereas darker urine shows that you are dehydrated.
Can diarrhea cause dehydration?
A prevalent cause of dehydration is diarrhea. As the large intestine absorbs the water from the food matter in our body, in diarrhea, this process is hindered, and water absorption is prevented.
Serious complications can occur if dehydration is not checked or treated. It includes kidney problems, accompanied by kidney stones, infections in the urinary tract, and, eventually, kidney failure that can be fatal sometimes. Due to an imbalance of electrolytes, seizures might occur, affecting the central nervous system.
Moreover, less blood in the body causes a drop in blood pressure, which creates a decrease in the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues and can be life-threatening.
Hence, to stay fit and healthy, drink an adequate amount of water. Add more water intake to your daily lifestyle. Eat healthily, drink healthy, and take care of your body and mind.